Sunday, July 10, 2011

why do we have to learn math that is not used in our real lives?

why do we have to learn math that is not used in our real lives?
fiv8niN asked 1 day, 18 hours ago

http://www.khanacademy.org/video/recognizing-odd-and-even-functions?playlist=Algebra


Odd and even functions have certain properties. Other stuff you study in maths (I'm from the UK and we call it maths!) will have other properties. This may or may not be directly useful but all this research helps when studying higher concepts. These concepts can be more applicable. Just knowing about maths makes you think better (more logically and analytically) and will help you make more informed judgements about a wide variety of things throughout life. I'm 40 and I didn't bother much with maths when I was at school. I deeply regret it. Of course, maths is not for everyone...

If the above doesn't make sense, then my advice is to ASSUME it will be useful, and to realise there's a good reason this is part of the curriculum.
newbarker answered 1 day, 5 hours ago

No comments: