Steven Chu Harvard Commencement Address
http://www.yeeyan.com/articles/view/adong/47533
声明:本文是在阮一峰的翻译基础上修改的。阮一峰的原作在这里。
http://www.ruanyifeng.com/blog/2009/0/remarks_of_stenven_chu_in_harvard_commencement_2009.html
他的翻译虽好,但是并没有把前半部分朱棣文搞笑的地方翻译出来。所以在这里重译。后半部分不再重译了。
我不清楚我自己能不能当得起哈佛大学毕业典礼演讲人的高标准。去年在此演讲的是亿万富翁小说家J.K.罗琳。她最早是读古典文学的。前年站在这里的是超亿万富翁慈善家比尔·盖茨。他是个电脑呆子。今年糟糕了,就剩下我了。我没钱,不过我起码还是个书呆子。
我感谢哈佛大学授予我荣誉学位,这项荣誉对我来说比你们想到的还要重要。你看,学术上我是我们家的异类。我的哥哥在麻省理工和哈佛拿了医学和哲学双料博士;我的弟弟在哈佛拿了法律学位。我本人得到诺贝尔奖的时候,我想我的妈妈会高兴。但并非如此。消息公布的那天早上,我给她打电话,她听了只说:“不错,不过你下次什么时候来看我啊?” 现在我在兄弟之中最后一个拿到了哈佛学位,也许这一次她可以满意了吧。
在哈佛大学毕业典礼上发表演说,还有一个难处,那就是你们中有些人可能对我从前人的演讲借用一部分有所不满。我请你们谅解我。这是因为我有两个理由。
首先,为了产生影响力,重复传递同样的信息很重要。在科学中,第一个发现者是重要的,但是成为公众所知的那最后一个做出这个发现的人也许更重要。
其次,一个借鉴他人的作者,跟随的是最优秀的前人的脚步。Ralph Waldo Emerson(爱默生,诗人)18岁就从哈佛毕业。他曾经写到:“我所有最棒的想法都被古人剽窃了。” 毕加索说,“好的艺术家借鉴,伟大的艺术家偷窃。”那为什么毕业典礼的演说者就需要更高的标准呢?
我向哈佛毕业生发表演说,这实在非常吊诡,因为如果当年要是我有胆子申请,哈佛一定会拒我。我的妻子是“Jean主任”。她曾经在斯坦福大学担任招生主任,她向我保证,如果有机会的话,她一定会拒绝我。当我把这篇演讲的草稿给她过目,她强烈反对我使用“拒绝”这个词.她从来不拒绝任何申请者。在拒绝信中她总是写:“我们无法提供你入学机会。”我实在搞不懂这两者的区别何在。毕竟,那些牛校的“招生主任”事实上就是“拒绝主任”。显然,我真需要好好学学市场营销。
不请自来的忠告
我的演讲将遵循毕业典礼演讲的经典结构。刚才是第一乐章——轻快的闲谈。接下来的第二乐章包括的是不请自来的忠告。这样的忠告不常被人珍视,很少有人铭记,更绝对不会被付诸实践。就像王尔德说的:“对于良好建议,唯一能做之事,就是把它送给别人,因为它对一个人自己来说没有任何用处。” 那么,忠告来了。第一,每当你取得成就的时候,不要忘记帮助过你的人。要感谢支持你的父母和朋友,要感谢那些启发过你的教授,而且尤其要感谢教的不怎么样的教授。有了他们,你就不得不自学。从长远看,自学能力是优秀的全面教育中必不可少的,这将成为你成功的关键。你应当去拥抱你的同学,感谢他们同你进行过的许多次彻夜长谈,这为你的教育带来了无法衡量的价值。当然,你还要感谢哈佛大学,如果你忘了,还有个负责提醒你的校友会。第二,在你们未来的人生中,培养一种慷慨大方的精神。在任何谈判中,都不要为了最后微小的一丁点利益讨价还价。不要把桌上的钱都拿走。在合作中,永远记住荣誉不是一个守恒的量。在一次成功合作中,任何一方都应获得全部荣誉的九成。
电影《Harvey》中,Jimmy Stewart扮演的角色Elwood P. Dowd,就完全理解这一点。他说:“多年前,母亲曾经对我说,‘Elwood,在这个世界上,你要么就做一个杠杠的聪明人,要么就做一个杠杠的好人。'” 这个嘛,我这些年都属于聪明人……我推荐做好人。你们可以告诉别人这是我说的。
我的第三个忠告是,当你马上开始生活的这个新阶段时,请跟随你的激情前进。如果你对任何东西都没有激情,就去寻找,找到之前誓不罢休。生命太短暂了,不能漠不关心的度过,你必须对某样东西倾注你的深情。我在你们这个年龄,是超级的一根筋,我的目标就是非成为物理学家不可。本科毕业后,我在加州大学伯克利分校又待了8年,读完了研究生,做完了博士后,然后去贝尔实验室待了9年。在这些年中,我关注的中心和职业上的全部乐趣,都来自物理学。
我还有最后一个忠告,就是说兴趣爱好固然重要,但是不应该是你的唯一目标。当你白发苍苍、垂垂老矣、回首人生时,你需要为自己做过的事感到自豪。你买到的物质享受,获得的荣誉,这些都不是自豪感的来源。自豪感只能来自那些你触摸过的生命,以及你在他们身上造成的改变。
在贝尔实验室待了9年后,我决定离开这个温暖舒适的象牙塔,走进我眼中的“真实世界”——大学。我对贝尔实验室的看法,可以引用描述Mary Poppins的话,“基本上在任何方面都十全十美”。但是,除了科学论文,我还想做出更多的贡献。我要去教书,培育我自己在科学上的后代。
我在斯坦福大学有一个好友兼杰出同事Ted Geballe。他也是从伯克利分校去了贝尔实验室,几年前又离开贝尔实验室去了斯坦福大学。他对我们的动机做出了最佳描述:
“在大学工作,最棒的部分就是学生。他们入校时生机勃勃,充满热情,思想开放,还没在生活的战斗中变得伤痕累累。虽然他们自己没有意识到,但是他们接受的是社会所能提供的最精华的教育。如果生命中还有一段时间是思想自由和充满创造力的话,那就是在大学里那段时光。入校时,学生们对课本上的一字一句毫不怀疑,渐渐地,他们发现课本和教授并不是无所不知的,于是他们开始独立思考。从那时起,就轮到我向他们学习了。”
我在贝尔实验室,斯坦福,伯克利教过的学生和博士后以及合作过的年轻同事,他们都非常优秀。他们中有30多人现在已经是教授了。许多人在全世界第一流的研究机构工作,也包括哈佛大学。我从他们身上学到了很多东西。即使现在,在少有的周末空暇时,我们剩下的生物物理研究组的成员还会和我在虚拟空间的以太世界里面相聚。
Madam President Faust, members of the Harvard Corporation and the Board of Overseers, faculty, family, friends, and, most importantly, today’s graduates,
Thank you for letting me share this wonderful day with you.
I am not sure I can live up to the high standards of Harvard Commencement speakers. Last year, J.K. Rowling, the billionaire novelist, who started as a classics student, graced this podium. The year before, Bill Gates, the mega-billionaire philanthropist and computer nerd stood here. Today, sadly, you have me. I am not wealthy, but at least I am a nerd.
I am grateful to receive an honorary degree from Harvard, an honor that means more to me than you might care to imagine. You see, I was the academic black sheep of my family. My older brother has an M.D./Ph.D. from MIT and Harvard while my younger brother has a law degree from Harvard. When I was awarded a Nobel Prize, I thought my mother would be pleased. Not so. When I called her on the morning of the announcement, she replied, “That’s nice, but when are you going to visit me next.” Now, as the last brother with a degree from Harvard, maybe, at last, she will be satisfied.
Another difficulty with giving a Harvard commencement address is that some of you may disapprove of the fact that I have borrowed material from previous speeches. I ask that you forgive me for two reasons.
First, in order to have impact,it is important to deliver the same message more than once. In science, it is important to be the first person to make a discovery, but it is even more important to be the last person to make that discovery.
Second, authors who borrow from others are following in the footsteps of the best. Ralph Waldo Emerson, who graduated from Harvard at the age of 18, noted “All my best thoughts were stolen by the ancients.” Picasso declared “Good artists borrow. Great artists steal.” Why should commencement speakers be held to a higher standard?
I also want to point out the irony of speaking to graduates of an institution that would have rejected me, had I the chutzpah to apply. I am married to “Dean Jean,” the former dean of admissions at Stanford. She assures me that she would have rejected me, if given the chance. When I showed her a draft of this speech, she objected strongly to my use of the word “rejected.” She never rejected applicants; her letters stated that “we are unable to offer you admission.” I have difficulty understanding the difference. After all, deans of admissions of highly selective schools are in reality, “deans of rejection.” Clearly, I have a lot to learn about marketing.
My address will follow the classical sonata form of commencement addresses. The first movement, just presented, were light-hearted remarks. This next movement consists of unsolicited advice, which is rarely valued, seldom remembered, never followed. As Oscar Wilde said, “The only thing to do with good advice is to pass it on. It is never of any use to oneself.” So, here comes the advice. First, every time you celebrate an achievement, be thankful to those who made it possible. Thank your parents and friends who supported you, thank your professors who were inspirational, and especially thank the other professors whose less-than-brilliant lectures forced you to teach yourself. Going forward, the ability to teach yourself is the hallmark of a great liberal arts education and will be the key to your success. To your fellow students who have added immeasurably to your education during those late night discussions, hug them. Also, of course, thank Harvard. Should you forget, there’s an alumni association to remind you. Second, in your future life, cultivate a generous spirit. In all negotiations, don’t bargain for the last, little advantage. Leave the change on the table. In your collaborations, always remember that “credit” is not a conserved quantity. In a successful collaboration, everybody gets 90 percent of the credit.
Jimmy Stewart, as Elwood P. Dowd in the movie “Harvey” got it exactly right. He said: “Years ago my mother used to say to me, ‘In this world, Elwood, you must be … she always used to call me Elwood … in this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.’” Well, for years I was smart. ... I recommend pleasant. You may quote me on that.
My third piece of advice is as follows: As you begin this new stage of your lives, follow your passion. If you don’t have a passion, don’t be satisfied until you find one. Life is too short to go through it without caring deeply about something. When I was your age, I was incredibly single-minded in my goal to be a physicist. After college, I spent eight years as a graduate student and postdoc at Berkeley, and then nine years at Bell Labs. During that my time, my central focus and professional joy was physics.
Here is my final piece of advice. Pursuing a personal passion is important, but it should not be your only goal. When you are old and gray, and look back on your life, you will want to be proud of what you have done. The source of that pride won’t be the things you have acquired or the recognition you have received. It will be the lives you have touched and the difference you have made.
After nine years at Bell labs, I decided to leave that warm, cozy ivory tower for what I considered to be the “real world,” a university. Bell Labs, to quote what was said about Mary Poppins, was “practically perfect in every way,” but I wanted to leave behind something more than scientific articles. I wanted to teach and give birth to my own set of scientific children.
Ted Geballe, a friend and distinguished colleague of mine at Stanford, who also went from Berkeley to Bell Labs to Stanford years earlier, described our motives best:
“The best part of working at a university is the students. They come in fresh, enthusiastic, open to ideas, unscarred by the battles of life. They don't realize it, but they're the recipients of the best our society can offer. If a mind is ever free to be creative, that's the time. They come in believing textbooks are authoritative, but eventually they figure out that textbooks and professors don't know everything, and then they start to think on their own. Then, I begin learning from them.”
My students, post doctoral fellows, and the young researchers who worked with me at Bell Labs, Stanford, and Berkeley have been extraordinary. Over 30 former group members are now professors, many at the best research institutions in the world, including Harvard. I have learned much from them. Even now, in rare moments on weekends, the remaining members of my biophysics group meet with me in the ether world of cyberspace.
I began teaching with the idea of giving back; I received more than I gave. This brings me to the final movement of this speech. It begins with a story about an extraordinary scientific discovery and a new dilemma that it poses. It’s a call to arms and about making a difference.
In the last several decades, our climate has been changing. Climate change is not new: the Earth went through six ice ages in the past 600,000 years. However, recent measurements show that the climate has begun to change rapidly. The size of the North Polar Ice Cap in the month of September is only half the size it was a mere 50 years ago. The sea level which been rising since direct measurements began in 1870 at a rate that is now five times faster than it was at the beginning of recorded measurements. Here’s the remarkable scientific discovery. For the first time in human history, science is now making predictions of how our actions will affect the world 50 and 100 years from now. These changes are due to an increase in carbon dioxide put into the atmosphere since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution. The Earth has warmed up by roughly 0.8 degrees Celsius since the beginning of the Revolution. There is already approximately a 1 degree rise built into the system, even if we stop all greenhouse gas emissions today. Why? It will take decades to warm up the deep oceans before the temperature reaches a new equilibrium.
If the world continues on a business-as-usual path, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change predicts that there is a fifty-fifty chance the temperature will exceed 5 degrees by the end of this century. This increase may not sound like much, but let me remind you that during the last ice age, the world was only 6 degrees colder. During this time, most of Canada and the United States down to Ohio and Pennsylvania were covered year round by a glacier. A world 5 degrees warmer will be very different. The change will be so rapid that many species, including Humans, will have a hard time adapting. I’ve been told for example, that, in a much warmer world, insects were bigger. I wonder if this thing buzzing around is a precursor.
We also face the specter of nonlinear “tipping points” that may cause much more severe changes. An example of a tipping point is the thawing of the permafrost. The permafrost contains immense amounts of frozen organic matter that have been accumulating for millennia. If the soil melts, microbes will spring to life and cause this debris to rot. The difference in biological activity below freezing and above freezing is something we are all familiar with. Frozen food remains edible for a very long time in the freezer, but once thawed, it spoils quickly. How much methane and carbon dioxide might be released from the rotting permafrost? If even a fraction of the carbon is released, it could be greater than all the greenhouse gases we have released to since the beginning of the industrial revolution. Once started, a runaway effect could occur.
The climate problem is the unintended consequence of our success. We depend on fossil energy to keep our homes warm in the winter, cool in the summer, and lit at night; we use it to travel across town and across continents. Energy is a fundamental reason for the prosperity we enjoy, and we will not surrender this prosperity. The United States has 3 percent of the world population, and yet, we consume 25 percent of the energy. By contrast, there are 1.6 billion people who don’t have access to electricity. Hundreds of millions of people still cook with twigs or dung. The life we enjoy may not be within the reach of the developing world, but it is within sight, and they want what we have.
Here is the dilemma. How much are we willing to invest, as a world society, to mitigate the consequences of climate change that will not be realized for at least 100 years? Deeply rooted in all cultures, is the notion of generational responsibility. Parents work hard so that their children will have a better life. Climate change will affect the entire world, but our natural focus is on the welfare of our immediate families. Can we, as a world society, meet our responsibility to future generations?
While I am worried, I am hopeful we will solve this problem. I became the director of the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, in part because I wanted to enlist some of the best scientific minds to help battle against climate change. I was there only four and a half years, the shortest serving director in the 78-year history of the Lab, but when I left, a number of very exciting energy institutes at the Berkeley Lab and UC Berkeley had been established.
I am extremely privileged to be part of the Obama administration. If there ever was a time to help steer America and the world towards a path of sustainable energy, now is the time. The message the President is delivering is not one of doom and gloom, but of optimism and opportunity. I share this optimism. The task ahead is daunting, but we can and will succeed.
We know some of the answers already. There are immediate and significant savings in energy efficiency and conservation. Energy efficiency is not just low-hanging fruit; it is fruit lying on the ground. For example, we have the potential to make buildings 80 percent more efficient with investments that will pay for themselves in less than 15 years. Buildings consume 40 percent of the energy we use, and a transition to energy efficient buildings will cut our carbon emissions by one-third.
We are revving up the remarkable American innovation machine that will be the basis of a new American prosperity. We will invent much improved methods to harness the sun, the wind, nuclear power, and capture and sequester the carbon dioxide emitted from our power plants. Advanced bio-fuels and the electrification of personal vehicles make us less dependent on foreign oil.
In the coming decades, we will almost certainly face higher oil prices and be in a carbon-constrained economy. We have the opportunity to lead in development of a new, industrial revolution. The great hockey player, Wayne Gretzky, when asked, how he positions himself on the ice, he replied,“ I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it’s been.” America should do the same.
The Obama administration is laying a new foundation for a prosperous and sustainable energy future, but we don’t have all of the answers. That’s where you come in. In this address, I am asking you, the Harvard graduates, to join us. As our future intellectual leaders, take the time to learn more about what’s at stake, and then act on that knowledge. As future scientists and engineers, I ask you to give us better technology solutions. As future economists and political scientists, I ask you to create better policy options. As future business leaders, I ask that you make sustainability an integral part of your business.
奥Finally, as humanists, I ask that you speak to our common humanity. One of the cruelest ironies about climate change is that the ones who will be hurt the most are the most innocent: the worlds poorest and those yet to be born.
The coda to this last movement is borrowed from two humanists.
The first quote is from Martin Luther King. He spoke on ending the war in Vietnam in 1967, but his message seems so fitting for today’s climate crisis:
“This call for a worldwide fellowship that lifts neighborly concern beyond one's tribe, race, class, and nation is in reality a call for an all-embracing and unconditional love for all mankind. This oft misunderstood, this oft misinterpreted concept, so readily dismissed by the Nietzsches of the world as a weak and cowardly force, has now become an absolute necessity for the survival of man … We are now faced with the fact, my friends, that tomorrow is today. We are confronted with the fierce urgency of now. In this unfolding conundrum of life and history, there is such a thing as being too late.”
The final message is from William Faulkner. On December 10th, 1950, his Nobel Prize banquet speech was about the role of humanists in a world facing potential nuclear holocaust.
“I believe that man will not merely endure: he will prevail. He is immortal, not because he alone among creatures has an inexhaustible voice, but because he has a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance. The poet's, the writer's, duty is to write about these things. It is his privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart, by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past.”
Graduates, you have an extraordinary role to play in our future. As you pursue your private passions, I hope you will also develop a passion and a voice to help the world in ways both large and small. Nothing will give you greater satisfaction.
Please accept my warmest congratulations. May you prosper, may you help preserve and save our planet for your children, and all future children of the world.
Friday, September 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment