Wednesday, July 29, 2009

zt: Planning for unemployment

Date Posted: Jul/28/2009 12:55 PM
Rating: +17

My company has just announced layoff that will begin a month from now. From what I understand there will be a severance package, however I don't know how much. I have an emergency fund that will last me 6 months, but I don't know how long it will take to get a new job. I also want to take the time while looking for a job to do/finish some household projects that I have been neglecting. Here is a list of things I have done or plan to do.



ask for forbearance on student loans - still paying off MBA.

get 90 day scripts filled

No unnecessary purchases

eBay unused items

Use up FSA

Start paying mortgage as 30 instead of 15

Have wife go full-time

scale back to bare minimum cable

cell phone contracts are up - go prepaid

Practice consuming less (food/utilities)

No more eating out

Labor for some friends


I am not sure I will be cut in the layoff - I just want to be prepared as possible. Any other ideas?


Date Posted: Jul/28/2009 12:55 PM
Rating: +17

My company has just announced layoff that will begin a month from now. From what I understand there will be a severance package, however I don't know how much. I have an emergency fund that will last me 6 months, but I don't know how long it will take to get a new job. I also want to take the time while looking for a job to do/finish some household projects that I have been neglecting. Here is a list of things I have done or plan to do.



ask for forbearance on student loans - still paying off MBA.

get 90 day scripts filled

No unnecessary purchases

eBay unused items

Use up FSA

Start paying mortgage as 30 instead of 15

Have wife go full-time

scale back to bare minimum cable

cell phone contracts are up - go prepaid

Practice consuming less (food/utilities)

No more eating out

Labor for some friends


I am not sure I will be cut in the layoff - I just want to be prepared as possible. Any other ideas?

No comments: