Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Want to give fiancé half of home

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/topic_view.php?catid=52&threadid=940031&start=0

Date Posted: Jul/20/2009 3:29 PM
Rating: 0

My fiancé is going to move in with me, and we are going to be married in a few months. After we're married, I want to give her half title in the home. There's not a crazy amount of equity in it, and since we'd both be paying on the mortgage, I feel like it's a good thing to do.

Basically I want to know the best way to do this. Since I own the home now, in my state that's individually my debt. If god forbid something fell apart between us, would the debt being 100% mine and her having 50% title screw me over? Like could she take half the house value in a divorce, and stick me with the entire mortgage? Should I ask her to refi into both of our names(I already have a good rate and would want to avoid this)? Should I just have something written up that she accepts half of the liabilities along with half of the equity? Thanks!



KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid
Keep it under your name


why would a guy want to do this?

In addition to all the other negatives mentioned, you will instantly disqualify her from being able to take advantage of first time homebuyer credits


If you are determined to do this and at least want to make a decent financial move, sELL it to her begore november and she will get the $8000 tax credit. You would need to do this before you marry and sell to her alone. You can put yourself on title later after marriage

No comments: